Republicans continually rail against any form of law or restriction that limits their ability to do as they like. At the same time, they fight tirelessly to restrict other groups, attempting to remove religious tolerance, freedom of expression, and women’s rights. Their dual definition of freedumb is harmful to our nation and exposes glaring hypocrisies in the GOP’s platform. Republicans do not favor smaller, less intrusive government; unless of course they are talking about smaller, less intrusive government for only themselves.
Here is a list of Republican freedumbs which in the end are not freedom at all, but dangerous double standards and beliefs that are untenable for a truly democratic society. But that doesn’t bother Republicans, they have never supported the idea of democracy, instead preferring to shovel-feed doctrine and laws down to the masses:
- The freedumb to carry weapons anywhere; on school campuses for example, where we have all seen the type of carnage that arises.
- The freedumb for corporations and people to spend as much money as they want to buy elections through advertising and smear campaigns, thereby eliminating a truly democratic process from ever existing again.
- The freedumb to live in a country free of gay people by making sure that they can’t marry, make love, or express themselves.
- The freedumb for men to decide what is best for women, in all cases, especially by expecting everyone to remain abstinent until marriage.
- The freedumb of churches to remain out of the political sphere but able to spend as much money as they want influencing people on how to vote for secular policy.
- The freedumb to profile anyone who looks like an immigrant and forcibly deport them if they are found without identification.
- The freedumb for corporations to destroy our environment in the search for profits, regardless of the future cost of this disaster.
- The freedumb to decide which type of science is taught in classrooms; that based on science or that based on belief.
- The freedumb to go to war with other countries, under false pretexts, and then not have the leaders face any consequences.